Saturday, October 1, 2011

If I'm a Christian, Am I Saved?

If you are a true fan of rap music, then you should know the name Joseph Simmons. No?  Well maybe you know him by the name of the Reverend Run of Run-D.M.C.  In my mind, one of the greatest songs of the 1980's, other than many items off of Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet is Run-D.M.C. doing Aerosmith's "Walk This Way," of course with Steve Tyler singing the refrain.  I still play that in my iPod when I'm trying to focus on analyzing data.  I promise, I am going to make a point here soon.

Years ago, when I was an undergrad engineering major, I was watching something on TV with my roommate, regarding Run-D.M.C., quite possibly Behind the Music.  My roommate then stated that he admired Reverend Run because he had a hugely successful career and then got saved.  Now this struck me as a weird thing to say, and it's somewhat haunted me since.  What does it mean "to get saved"?

Many words and catch phrases of the Protestant Reformation and theology originated among us Catholics, however since the connotation has been somewhat altered, you generally do not hear Catholics use them any more.  The words/phrases that I am talking about are 1. Predestined, 2. Elect, and 3. Justified.  What do they mean?  According to many Protestant denominations (but not all), they mean 1. God selected me personally to go to heaven; 2. I am one of the group of people God predestined to go to heaven, and nothing can change that; and 3. My salvation.

These words do have a place within the context of Catholic theology.  God is aware fully of what will happen.  He knows who will be damned and who will be saved.  In that sense, we can say that we are predestined.  However, the mystery lies in our ultimate end relying heavily (but not solely) on our good works.  The Church Militant can be referred to as the Elect, in that we are God's chosen people.  We are elected for salvation as members of His Church.  Finally, our justification as Christians.  Many Protestant theologies, particularly Lutheran, refer to our justification reliant on profession of Jesus Christ as our Lord, i.e. faith.  Now, faith is always required for our salvation, but it is not the only component.  Drinking water is required for my health, but if I did nothing else, I won't live too long.  St. James (James 2:26) explicitly states that faith without works is dead.  This is echoed by Christ's own list of Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy (Matthew 25:31-46), and in the Lord's Prayer, where we even pray to forgive those who have wronged us.

So what's the bottom line here? I have to go back to my initial question, or title of the post.  Am I saved?  I hope I will be, but my salvation is a constant battle and struggle.  God gives me the grace to persevere through the Sacraments, particularly Confession where He takes me back after I falter. But I can choose freely to reject the grace that God gives me, and therefore choose not to participate in my own salvation.  Now, this choice might not appear to be explicit, but maybe as simple as failing my brothers and sisters, erring in my thoughts, in my words, in what I have done and what I have failed to do.

No comments: